Monday, December 30, 2019

4 Things I'm Resolved to Do in 2020



I don't make new year's resolutions. I don't want to make promises I can't keep. When I promise something, I plan to do it even if it hurts. However, when I resolve to improve something it isn't quite the same as a promise to accomplish it. It inherently assumes imperfection and mistakes on the way to growth.

Therefore, I resolve to improve in these areas:

1. Do some creative side projects

I want to do more personal projects this year. I've gotten away from doing fulfilling creative work recently in lieu of doing work for others. If I want to grow in my craft I must get back to doing projects that feed my soul, not just my wallet.

2. Start redesign of my website

Right now I've been drafting and considering (for over 3 years or so) how to redesign my website. It's never going to get done unless I start just doing it. 2020 seems like a good year to try and get this started.

3. Learn something new

I want to take more advantage of learning opportunities in 2020. Towards the end of this year I've been investing in online LinkedIn courses, purchasing and reading books from A Book Apart, and even attending an AIGA event. I want to continue doing this for the year to come by expanding beyond just design like philosophy, logic, sociology, psychology, and research methods. I believe these will help me be a more well-rounded designer.

4. Write better

I use writing to help me articulate my ideas and thoughts. I need to do this more and better. So, part of my training will involve learning how to write better and more efficiently. And along with training, I plan to spend more time actually writing. Maybe I'll even do this as part of a creative side project like a book or something.

If you have any areas of growth for 2020, feel free to chime in below or on Twitter.

Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. But comments with links will be deleted (unless truly helpful).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...