Wednesday, December 19, 2007

My Marketing Problem


I've noticed something about myself this year. All it took to bring my marketing efforts to a halt were major life changes and adjustments. I've come to the realization that marketing successfully has little to do with know-how. And it has more to do with can-do than anything else.

What I mean is that I have had little desire to find new clients, though I said I wanted to. Whenever I sit down to do something about it, a fear comes over me. I am not really sure anymore who I want as a client. I suppose this is the natural result of reexamining my career goals in light of other major changes in my life (and a few difficult clients). But, I have to be honest, I am not very motivated right now. I am a little tired.

I know I probably won't always feel this way. And this hasn't been good financially. (Perhaps that is good enough motivation.) But, I have come to realize that marketing is more than numbers and targeting. It is knowing thyself and thy customer too. It is establishing relationships. It is putting in the time. It is loving what you do and who you do it for.

Although marketing by the numbers and sweat can still be successful, what do you do when you don't know what you want to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. But comments with links will be deleted (unless truly helpful).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...