Monday, January 16, 2006

Good Design is Universal

In a previous post I discussed my philosophy of design. This is the first of a series of articles discussing these in further detail.

When I say that good design is universal, I am saying that it is ubiquitous. If it designed well, it will be functional in our everyday lives, even if we do not notice it as such. I see great design in nature, in our human bodies, vehicles, computers, software, and even our homes. We use these things everyday without thinking about the design, because they function well in the context we use them in. But the best designs go beyond a pleasant function to an aestetically appealing addition to this world. Beauty is a characteristic of God's creation, and of His eternal character. This is a bit theological, and you may not even believe in God. But if He exists, and I believe He does, He loves beauty. And beauty glorifies Him.

That is why good design is universal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. But comments with links will be deleted (unless truly helpful).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...