Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Thoughts About a Suicide

Why did Rick Tharp kill himself? Rick Tharp of Tharp Did it is a great graphic designer who, until recently, produced a huge amount of celebrated and well-accomplished body of work. I don't understand why he killed himself. But did he have a purpose?

Success will never fulfill us, if it is meaningless. What good is being the best designer, the best mechanic, the richest guy, the smartest dude if life is just a series of events until death. Do we dare ponder: What is the purpose of life? Why are we here?

I know that it is possible that Tharp was suffering from clinical depression of some kind. I don't know. All I know is that at some point he lost hope. It's times like these that I wonder if we really get it.

My cousin killed himself years ago. Being a young kid at the time, I never understood why. I always wanted to ask him. (I guess I will never know in this lifetime.) But does anybody ever ponder the stark reality of death and life? They are the naked truth. No matter how we live our lives, or how many friends we make, we are either alive or dead. Doesn't that cause for some sort of reflection?

But I know the truth. We will continue with life worrying about the economy, war, politics, and fame. We are a preoccupied culture. Talking on our cell-phones to disembodied voices, looking at pretty colors on our computer screens, and living in the past and future during the present. We purposefully avoid the unpleasant questions of life in lieu of "fun."

Does anybody get it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. But comments with links will be deleted (unless truly helpful).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...